- 1 10 ounce (283 grams) jar maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (300 grams) granulated sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups (226 grams) cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cup (315 ml) buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degree C) . Butter and flour your cake pan.
- Drain the maraschino cherries, reserving the juice. In a food processor or with a sharp knife, finely chop the cherries. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or in a large bowl with a hand-held mixer, beat the butter and sugar at high speed until light and fluffy. This will take about 5 minutes. Scrape down the bowl and add the egg whites one at a time, mixing after each. Add the vanilla and almond extracts and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a smaller bowl, combine the buttermilk and maraschino cherry juice. Add the flour mixture to the mixer in 3 additions, alternating with the buttermilk mixture. Mix after each addition and scrape down the bowl as necessary. Stir in the chopped maraschino cherries.
- Divide the batter evenly between the cake pans and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs, about 30-35 minutes. Let cool in the pans 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Butter or margarine, Softened
- 1 and 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons Milk
- In a medium bowl. Mix powdered sugar and butter with spoon or electric mixer on low speed. Stir in vanilla and 1 tablespoon of the milk.
- Gradually beat in just enough remaining milk to make to make frosting smooth and spreadable. If your frosting is too thick. Then add more milk.
Hello Everyone. Its a new month. So that mean it time for another new recipe from me. This month I'm sharing my cherry chip cake recipe with you all. I made this cake a few week ago. For my work potluck. Which the cake was super good. Plus a huge hit with my co-workers.
I also made homemade buttercream frosting for the top of the cake. Which I have used this buttercream recipe. Tons of time. I will for warn you. That the frosting is very sweet. So don't eat to much of it.
HAVE A GREAT THURSDAY!